investor funds

How to Get Temporary Proof Of Your Legal Residency

Here is a summary of how to get temporary proof of your legal residency status from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

1. How to Get Temporary Proof Of Your Legal Residency

Many people ask how to get temporary proof of their legal residency or green card approval while waiting for their permanent residency card. You may show temporary proof of your legal residency by getting an ADIT stamp from the USCIS.

What is an ADIT Stamp?

An ADIT stamp is an Alien Documentation, Identification, and Telecommunication stamp., and is also known as an I-551 stamp. This is temporary proof of your legal permanent residency in the US and is commonly placed in your passport or I-9 card.

How To Ask The USCIS For Temporary Proof of your Residency

To ask the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) for temporary evidence of permanent residence, a legal resident can do the following:

  1. Call the USCIS Contact Center at (800)-375-5283.
  2. Confirm your identity and address with the USCIS officer.

The officer will determine if you need an in-person INFOPASS appointment or if the USCIS can provide an ADIT stamp through the mail.

2. Will I Need An Appointment at the USCIS?

Generally, you will need in-person INFOPASS appointment if you have an urgent need for an ADIT stamp, do not have a useable photo in the USCIS system, or the USCIS officer cannot confirm your identity or address.

If you do not need an INFOPASS appointment, your nearest USCIS Field Office that has jurisdiction will issue you a Form I-94 with an ADIT stamp and DHS seal, with your printed photo, and mail it to you. This document will be valid for up to one year.

3. Requirements for this Procedure

Generally, to use this procedure, you should meet the following requirements:

  1. You are a legal permanent resident and you do not have your green card yet. (For example, a person who has green card application that has been approved and they are waiting for their green card to be issued, or it was stolen.)
  2. You are a legal permanent resident with a Form I-90, I-751, or N-400 application pending and the automatic extension on your receipt notice has expired.

4. Get Help From Your Immigration Lawyer

Lastly, a good way to get proof of your temporary residency is to get help from your immigration lawyer. This general information guide is not intended to be a substitute for specific legal advice from your own lawyer. Your lawyer will advise you on your application for your temporary proof of residency with the USCIS.

Thank you for reading this article. If you need have questions or need help, please call our immigration law office at (626)256-8500.

Read More: How to respond to a USCIS Request For Evidence (RFE)

Read More: A Citizenship Interview at USCIS & 2022 Citizenship Updates

About the author

Doreen Emenike is an immigration lawyer with over 20 years of experience. She helps people live in the U.S. legally and works at the Law Offices of Doreen A. Emenike.

Share this post

En Español »