Motion To Reopen & Appeals​

Getting your case denied isn’t always the end of the road.

Schedule Your Appointment Today

Office Hours 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (PST)

Don’t give up, we’re here to help

Motion to Reopen

A Motion to Reopen is a request to reopen an unfavorable decision by the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.  You can also file a Motion to reopen with the immigration court or The Board of Immigration Appeals to reopen an outstanding deportation or removal order so that you can file a new application or seek other immigration benefits.

Some examples of when you file a Motion to Reopen include:

  • A Request for Evidence was sent to the wrong address or not sent at all
  • The USCIS or immigration judge made an error on your case
  • You never received the notice of the court hearing
  • You missed a court hearing and were ordered removed or deported in absentia
  • You have new evidence that was not available when you were in removal proceedings
  • You received ineffective assistance on your removal case from your legal representative
  • There were certain important errors made in your case
  • Where there are changed country conditions for certain cases


Our experienced immigration lawyer can help you with reviewing, preparing and filing:

  • Immigration Court Motions to Reopen
  • (BIA) Board of Immigration Appeals Motions to Reopen and Stay of Removal
  • Motions to Reopen with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)


If your immigration case has been denied or you have been ordered removed, you may still have an opportunity to appeal. There are usually strict deadlines for appealing a denial so it is important to speak to an experienced immigration attorney to evaluate your case and help you with your appeal immediately.

Our immigration lawyer has the experience to help you with:

  • USCIS Motions To Reconsider or Appeals
  • Board of Immigration Appeals
  • Ninth Circuit Appeals

Please note that most appeals and motions have deadlines and if you do not file within the deadline, your application may be denied, and you risk being placed into removal proceedings or deported from the U.S.

If you have questions about a Motion To Reopen or Appeal or would like to see if it is a good option for you, please contact our law office to schedule an appointment.

Let's talk

If you want to discuss your immigration questions or concerns, please contact us for an appointment.

Why Choose Us

At our immigration law office, we know that a person’s immigration situation can also affect their whole family, and that each person’s case is different.

So we work to understand your particular problem and to find the best solution for you. 

We review your background to see if there are any waivers, motions, or pardons that can help your immigration status.

We prepare all the necessary paperwork, waivers and documents, and file them with the immigration court and government agencies.

We prepare you for hearings and interviews. We also attend them to support you, help you understand what is happening and answer any questions.

We keep you up to date with the complex immigration requirements.

Experienced Immigration Lawyer Doreen Emenike has significant knowledge in handling similar immigration matters and has a high success rate.

Contact us today for help from a reliable immigration attorney who understands your situation.

Our Process

We work with you to solve potential problems upfront and avoid unnecessary delay or denial.

We evaluate your immigration history and background and whether you qualify to apply.

With our experience we know the ever-changing laws and how best to present your case at a reasonable cost.

How we've Helped clients

A native of Mexico, Mr. H is a qualified French chef who hired our Law Offices to help him obtain a green card so that he could work in the U.S. legally at a Los Angeles area French restaurant. We filed his Labor Certification petition and after this was approved we successfully filed for his green card application.

Mr. R., a native of Belize and a U.S. citizen, had his first green card application denied when he had used a ‘notario’ or immigration consultant. After this, when Mr. R hired our law office for help our goal was to provide him with a fast, and successful process. In addition to taking care of all the problems which had led to his previous denial, we provided Mr. R with periodic updates regarding his daughter’s petition and addressed any questions or concerns that he had along the way. Eventually, Mr. R’s family visa petition was approved and his daughter was able to enter the U.S. legally as a legal permanent resident.
Ms. M had not filed her two minor sons’ I-751 petitions to Remove the Conditions of Residence before their legal residency cards (‘green cards’) expiration date. After she noticed that their green cards had expired, she contacted our law office to seek help for she was concerned that the USCIS would deport her children back to their native Philippines where they did not have anyone to care for them. After a thorough analysis of her case, we filed an I-751 petition with the USCIS with strong legal arguments in support of her sons’ late applications and good supporting documents. Their application was approved after a few months and the children were able to get their permanent green cards.

Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) for Palestinian Nationals

The US President has authorized the Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) for Palestinian nationals in the US. This means that the State Department will defer the
Read More →
Image of a US passport

A Green Card Interview at USCIS & Interview Updates

My clients and I were exhausted at the end of a recent green card interview at the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). In this
Read More →
En Español »