Citizenship & Naturalization​

Becoming a citizen of the United States can be a very exciting time in anyone’s life. We would love to be a part of this journey and walk you through the process

Schedule Your Appointment Today

Office Hours 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (PST)

Let us help you become a U.S. citizen

United States Citizenship & Naturalization

Many legal permanent residents are choosing to become U. S. citizens. However, not everyone is eligible for citizenship and it is important to ensure that your case is handled correctly to avoid unnecessary delays or problems that may cause you to lose your permanent residency and be put into removal proceedings for eventual deportation. Please contact us today to discuss your case.

The Process

Our goal is to work with our clients to make sure that they become U.S. citizens with minimal problems. We review your case to see if your immigration history and background qualify you to apply. We discuss any problems that we find and give you solutions where possible.
Here are some services that might be included in your process with us:

  • Review of your case for potential problems from your immigration or travel history
  • We evaluate if your criminal convictions will cause you to lose your legal permanent residency and be placed in removal proceedings or prevent your citizenship
  • Review and respond to Requests for Evidence from the USCIS
  • Provide advice and solutions where necessary
  • Request a waiver for the civics test due to age, or medical disability
  • Interview preparation and attend the interview with you

We have helped many residents become U.S. citizens and would like to help you.
If you want to become a U.S. citizen or have citizenship questions, please contact us to schedule an appointment.


Here are the general requirements for U.S. citizenship through naturalization:       

1. Age – Applicants for naturalization must be at least 18 years old.

2. Residence/Physical Presence

In general, you must be a lawfully admitted permanent resident and have resided here as a permanent resident for at least five years before filing, with no single absence from the U.S. of more than one year.

Legal permanent residents who are married to U.S. citizens or have served in the U.S. Armed

Forces can naturalize in less time. You should be physically present in the U.S. for at least half of the residency period that applies to your case.       

3. Loyalty – You must pledge loyalty to the U.S. 

  1. Good Moral Character

    You need to show that you have been a person of good moral character for the statutory period (typically five years or three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for Armed Forces expedite) before filing for naturalization. Certain criminal convictions or conduct may prevent you applicant from showing that you are a person of good moral character.

  2. English  

    Applicants for naturalization must be able to speak, read, write and understand simple words and sentences in the English language. Some longtime elderly permanent residents and people with certain disabilities are exempt from the English language requirement.

    6. History and Government

    Applicants are required to pass a short civics test on the U.S. history and government.


Citizenship From A U.S. Citizen Parent – Acquisition or Derivation


You may acquire U.S. citizenship through your parents depending on the law in effect when they were born. Usually, at least one parent should be a U.S. citizen, and have lived in the U.S. or its possessions for a specific period. The rules are different depending on whether you were born within or outside of the U.S.

Let's talk

If you want to discuss your immigration questions or concerns, please contact us for an appointment.

Our Experience

At our law office, we know that your immigration situation can also affect your whole family, and that each case is different. So we work to understand your particular problem and work with you to find out the best way to help you. 

We review your case to see if there are any documents, waivers or pardons that you need. 

Where we find a waiver or application that can help, we prepare all the necessary paperwork and documents, and file them with the immigration court and government agencies.

We also help to prepare your for the immigration interviews and appointments.

Finally, we are here to  answer  questions and keep you up to date with the complex immigration requirements. 

How we've Helped clients

A native of Mexico, Mr. H is a qualified French chef who hired our Law Offices to help him obtain a green card so that he could work in the U.S. legally at a Los Angeles area French restaurant. We filed his Labor Certification petition and after this was approved we successfully filed for his green card application.

Mr. R., a native of Belize and a U.S. citizen, had his first green card application denied when he had used a ‘notario’ or immigration consultant. After this, when Mr. R hired our law office for help our goal was to provide him with a fast, and successful process. In addition to taking care of all the problems which had led to his previous denial, we provided Mr. R with periodic updates regarding his daughter’s petition and addressed any questions or concerns that he had along the way. Eventually, Mr. R’s family visa petition was approved and his daughter was able to enter the U.S. legally as a legal permanent resident.
Ms. M had not filed her two minor sons’ I-751 petitions to Remove the Conditions of Residence before their legal residency cards (‘green cards’) expiration date. After she noticed that their green cards had expired, she contacted our law office to seek help for she was concerned that the USCIS would deport her children back to their native Philippines where they did not have anyone to care for them. After a thorough analysis of her case, we filed an I-751 petition with the USCIS with strong legal arguments in support of her sons’ late applications and good supporting documents. Their application was approved after a few months and the children were able to get their permanent green cards.
En Español »