investor funds

How To Speed Up your EAD or work permit Processing

Here is a guide to speed up your employment authorization card (EAD) or work permit processing with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

1. You Can Ask USCIS for Expedited Processing

One way to speed up your EAD or work permit processing is to ask the USCIS for Expedited Processing.

When To ask the USCIS For Expedited Processing

You can ask the USCIS for expedited processing if you fall into any of these five approved categories below:

  1. There is or will be severe financial loss to a company or person. The USCIS will not speed up processing for late I-765 applications, or a late reply to a request for evidence (RFE).
  2. There is an emergency, or urgent humanitarian reasons for your request;
  3. You are a nonprofit organization (designated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)) whose request advances US cultural and social interests;
  4. Urgent U.S. government interests (such as urgent cases for federal agencies). These include the U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Labor, DHS, or other public safety or national security interests); or
  5. Clear USCIS error – you have to show that there is a clear mistake by the USCIS.

How To Ask The USCIS For Expedited Processing

The first way to ask the USCIS for expedited processing is to call the USCIS Contact Center at (800)-375-5283. During your call, explain the reasons for your request. Also, you may have to call them many times to get your EAD expedited.

A second way to ask for expedited processing is through the “Ask Emma” chat function on the USCIS website. Here you will you need the full name, alien number, if any, mailing address, date of birth, and receipt number.

How The USCIS Considers Your Expedited Processing Request

The USCIS will consider requests for expedited processing on a case-by-case basis. They have the right to approve or deny your request for any reason. This means that you cannot be certain that they will approve your request.

Finally, show the USCIS your documents that prove that you meet their expedited processing requirements.

Health Care Workers – Specific Expedited Processing

Healthcare workers can request for a specific expedited processing. You should have a pending I-765 application and your EAD expires in 30 days or less, or has already expired . Also, you would need proof of your current employment in the healthcare industry to qualify for this special processing. You may call the USCIS Contact Center at (800) 375-5283 (TTY 800-767-1833) to ask for expedited processing.

2. You Can File an E-Request with the USCIS

A second way to speed up your EAD processing is to file an e-request with the USCIS. You can ask about the status of your work permit application if it is outside the USCIS processing time frame. First, use the case status online tool to check on the status of your application at If your EAD application is outside the processing timeframe for EAD renewal applications like yours, you can make the e-request. Finally, make your request with your full name, alien number, if any, mailing address, date of birth, and receipt number.

3. Check If You Have An EAD Automatic Extension

In addition, some EAD categories have an automatic extension. This allows you to work for 180 days after your work permit expires if you meet the USCIS requirements. Do look at your work permit category to see if you qualify for this automatic extension. In some cases, with this extension, you may not need to worry about speeding up your EAD renewal processing.

4. Get Help From Your Immigration Lawyer

Lastly, get help from your immigration lawyer. This general information guide is not intended to be a substitute for specific legal advice from your own lawyer. Your lawyer will advise you on how to present your particular expedite request to the USCIS.

Thank you for reading this article. If you need have questions or need help, please call our immigration law office at (626)256-8500.

Read More: How to respond to a USCIS Request For Evidence (RFE)

Read More: A Citizenship Interview at USCIS & 2022 Citizenship Updates

About the author

Doreen Emenike is an immigration lawyer with over 20 years of experience. She helps people live in the U.S. legally and works at the Law Offices of Doreen A. Emenike.

Share this post

En Español »