No More Combination EAD and Advance Parole Cards

Combo Cards for Adjustment Applicants

Until recently, green card applicants with a pending I-485 Adjustment of Status Application could apply for their employment authorization document (EAD) and advance parole combo card. Now the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) will issue the two documents separately.

What is a Combo Card? 

A combo card is the USCIS permission for employment and travel authorization on a single “combo” card for those green card applicants already living lawfully in the United States and filing an adjustment of status (AOS) application.  This way applicants could use a single card that was more durable and secure than the Advance Parole document which is like a notice on paper.  

Why did the USCIS Stop Issuing Combo Cards?

The USCIS has stopped issuing combo cards to reduce the EAD backlogs and speed up processing of EADs. This means that you may receive your work permit before you receive the Advance Parole notice by mail.

Please remember that you cannot use a regular EAD card to re-enter the US after travel abroad. You should take your Advance Parole document with you if you travel overseas.

Thank you for reading this article. If you have questions or need help, please call our immigration law office at (626)256-8500.

Read More: Green Cards

Read More: A Citizenship Interview at USCIS & 2022 Citizenship Updates

About the author

Doreen Emenike is an immigration lawyer with over 20 years of experience. She helps people live in the U.S. legally and works at the Law Offices of Doreen A. Emenike.

Share this post

En Español »